The Five Ten Hellcat has for many years been the default go-to choice of shoe for competitors on the World Cup Downhill mountain biking circuit which goes some way to explain why the Hellcat has more UCI Downhill victory medals to its name than Michael Phelps has Olympic gold medals.
Completely updated, the Five Ten Hellcat Pro, whilst very similar to the updated Hellcat which also debuted alongside this Pro version features a synthetic, durable weather-resistant upper to keep you warm and dry in the harshest conditions by beading and repelling water.
Additional differences between this Pro version and the regular Hellcat is that there is a unique 45-degree velcro strap which has been repositioned to securely lock your heel when applying pedal pressure and during walking.
The Hellcat Pro is lighter than previous incarnations with a leather and synthetic upper for the durability DH racing demands, other unique characteristics of the Hellcat Pro is that its 3/4 dual-density vibration-damping TPU shank - this allows the sole of the shoe to flex whilst walking around but maintains rigidity whilst pedalling and an impact-resistant 4 layer TPU toe box with 2mm of impact resistant foam is the next best thing to wearing steel-toe-capped boots.
Further improvements are around the clipless interface, on previous versions of the Five Ten Hellcat the rubber sole met the edges of the recess in which the cleats were mounted, this often meant that over time the constant engaging and disengaging from the clips damaged the rubber around this recess. For the new Hellcat Pro, however, the rubber sole is further back from the recess intentionally exposing part of the much more durable TPU shank which itself has been shaped to further aid cleat engagement.
Speaking of the rubber sole, the Hellcat Pro features Five Ten’s STEALTH® C4™ sole rubber compound in their much-loved dotty print. Typically used for rock climbing C4™ offers phenomenal traction (Shore A Durometer of 76 to 80) and durability but also has shock-absorbing properties which make C4™ ideal for downhill racing, a discipline at bleeding edge for which riders need to feel confident on the pedals.
Simply put, the new Five Ten Hellcat Pro was born to descend mountains and descend them as quick as possible.
- Clipless compatible
- Lace / Velcro Closure
- Full dotty C4™ tread pattern
- Perforated tongue for breathability
- Full synthetic durable weather-resistant upper
- 3/4 Dual density vibration dampening TPU shank allows for flex when walking while maintaining rigidity when pedalling
- Compression-moulded EVA midsole reduces weight and provides added comfort
- Impact-resistant 4 layer TPU toe box with 2mm of impact resistant foam
Five Ten Sizing Advice
For tight fit, go one size down.
For a loose fit, go one size up.
The sizing for Five Ten shoes has shifted over the past few years, historically the shoes were famous for being quite roomy so riders would often size down. However, the later models such as anything with Pro in the name feature a more athletic, a narrower, closer fit for performance.
We'd recommend you follow the sizing advice below, testing a range of models in the office (a member of staff, typically wears a UK 10/Euro 44 and a 280mm foot length) always opted for UK 9.5 with the exception for the Freerider Pro, Impact Pro and Hellcat Pro for which he sized up to a UK 10.
- Place a piece of paper on a hard floor with one end of the wall, stand on the piece of paper (wearing socks) with the heel slightly touching the wall.
- Mark the end of your longest toe with a pencil for both feet, it's easier if you let someone help you with this.
- Measure your marking from the wall (heel) to the longest toe for both feet, take the larger of the foot lengths and compare it with the sizing chart above to work out your ideal Five Ten shoe size.